An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

1.11.2008

Stressing Out!

I think I've been grinding my teeth in my sleep or something, my jaw is all sore. This has happened in the past when I had something big coming up. I guess I get overly nervous. I have about 10 days left before I leave the US. I've started to pack in the hopes I could get most of it over with so I can stop worrying if everything can fit. I got rid of a lot of things, I have some more clothes to donate, and I got a lot packed into my 3 bags. I'll mainly be bringing clothes, DVDs, Games, a few books, and other odds and ends. I'm not planning to take any big items.

Now, partly as a way to stop stressing, I decided to take some video of myself packing and explaining how I am preparing. I am also working out in my head how I want to create my Taiwan Dreamin' Show. I plan to start with random people cut together saying "This is Taiwan Dreamin'" Then the intro credit thing will roll, followed by me introducing the show and segments. Each show should have about 3 or 4 segments and last between 10 and 20 mins. The footage I took today was about 11 mins long. I think I can edit it down to about 5 or 6 mins and add some other things along with it. I'd like to have segments such as, Describing why I want to live in Taiwan, how I prepared for the trip, with tips for others, visits to night markets, interviews with my family and friends about their opinions. I'd also like to show interesting places and events in Taiwan.

When I arrive, as Nathan, of BicycleSidewalk, has pointed out in the comments, it will be Chinese New Years time. This year is my year, the year of the Rat, so I hope that brings me good luck. So I am sure there will be a lot of things going on that I can show because of that.

So I mentioned I want to host it and have an intro, make it professional and so forth. I think this will be a fun time to show off my After Effects skills, here is an example of a Movie Intro I made. Keep in mind, I picked the music, drew all the slashes, cut out the japanese prints, and animated it all. You can see it here:



For my Taiwan dreamin' intro I want to make a mix of silouetted cityscapes, and other unique taiwan images, along with typography, set to music. I think It should last about 15 to 30 seconds. If you have any ideas let me know.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

Ian,
Thanks for the link! However double check it...I got a 404...I am at:
http://www.bicycle-sidewalk.com

Man, great intro! Yes, you do have some great AE skills!

The last ten will fly by...be sure to spend lots of time or quality time with friends and family...once you get on the plane it might be a while until you see them again...My intention was to stay in Japan for 1 year...that was 8 years ago! I have been back to NC a handful of times...however, wow, Japan has become my second home.

4:24 AM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

Okay, fixed the link.
Yeah, I don't know how long I will stay, depends on how happy and successful I am there. Hope at the least it will be a good experience and I can learn Chinese.

12:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home