An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

1.10.2008

1 Ping = 3.5 sq. Meters = 36 sq. Feet

Well I think the title says it all. Many of the rooms I found were about 10 Ping. The place I have reserved is 50.
Thats about 175 sq. Meters or 1800 sq. Feet. I need to ask my parents what is the size of their homes so I can compare. Anyway, I know its not small, haha!

On another subject I need to have a card made up to express my allergy. My friend Kevin wrote it out for me in simplified chinese, but in Taiwan they use traditional. Here it is:

I am allergic to 'legumes' and beans.
我对豆科植物以及豆科植物所作食品过敏.

This includes peanuts, tofu, and soy.
这其中包括了花生,豆腐,大豆等食物.

I can have the oil, but not the protein.
我能食用豆制油类,但是不能食用豆制蛋白质.

I need to print this out I guess. I also need somebody to type up my full adress where I will be staying so I can show it to Taxi drivers and such people.

When I arrive in Taiwan I will take a bus or the High-Speed Train from the airort to Taichung. There are places to buy bus tickets right inside the Airport, for a 2 Hour ride to Taichung it's about $7 US. For the Train its about $30 but takes like 40 mins, something like that. The bus terminal is open until 1:00 am.
Taiwan is practically a 24 Hours Open culture so I think I can travel easily in the night.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

Ian,
I am so happy I found your blog. I have been looking for something like this for a while. Here is a quick intro - My name is Nathan, I am from North Carolina, however I have lived in Japan for the last 8 years. My wife is Taiwanese! I have been to Taiwan many times - and at the moment we are thinking about moving to Taipei...with that said, I am really looking forward to watching and reading about your journey. My wife is from Taitung...however I think we have some family where you will be...
You can find me at www.bicycle-sidewalk.com
I have a couple videos of Taiwan on my site...I was there last year for Chinese New Year...Feb 18ish...this year it will happen on Feb 7 and last for a week...right after you land!! Get ready for a long party...anyhow, looking forward to your blog!

nathan miller

9:51 PM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

Hey, thanks a lot! I went to your site, I think you sound a little like Tom Hanks or something.
Anyway, I think if you read through my blog there ought to be some useful info, although if you're wife is Taiwanese she probably can tell you more than I.
Glad to know somebody is reading!

12:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home