An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

5.28.2008

Weather - Teaching - PS3

It's getting hotter, I got a small sunburn while riding around on my scooter. I bought the PS3 like I said I wanted, so I have found myself sitting in my underwear in front of the fan playing 'Grand Theft Auto 4' quite a few times, haha! Trying not to use the Air conditioner too much. I bought 3 games, Call of Duty 4, Assassins creed, and of course Grand Theft Auto 4! Very fun! Good graphics! Good controls! State of the art!

It will get really hot, I don't know the actual temperature, and then it will pour down rain for a hour or two and cool it down. Taichung is a very sunny city, I think people are right when they say it has better weather than the others.

On the scooter the highest speed I normally get up to when driving is 80kmh, which is about 50mph. Speed limits are around 60kmh, which is about 40mph. Well I should say I've heard that is a normal speed limit because I've never seen a speed limit sign, or at least I didn't know that's what it was. I also have never seen a stop sign here, they mostly use lights. In small neighborhoods they have big mirrors at intersections sometimes to help you see if a car is coming.

Taiwanese Drivers will often slow down slightly (or not) and honk their horn as they are approaching an intersection to let others know they are coming through. I think the general understanding is that if you are coming to an intersection you may not have to stop but you better be careful! But hey, health care is cheap here, so if you don't mind having all your bones broken in a crash, at least its not too expensive to get your casts and surgery! Weee!

Back to the cram school topic, I will be working all summer, since it is not like a normal school, there aren't any big breaks in the schedule. Taiwanese Elementary School students get 2 months off for summer vacation, and 1 month for winter and a few scattered holidays. Older students, in high school, get 3 weeks summer vacation, and 1 week for winter. During those breaks the students will still be coming to the buxiban. The summer will be hot but luckily the classrooms, and most places here really, have air conditioning!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have XBAWKS360. So far I have creed, gears of war, crackdown, and gta4. I used to be a sony boy as you know, but they let me down this generation so far. One thing thats bad about the 360, though, is its crappy d-pad. Playing the virtua fighter 5 demo with that didn't feel even half as smooth as the sony controller. So howzit goin?

3:02 AM

 
Blogger MissToby said...

you can wear light jacket and mask when you riding your scooter to avoid sunburn.

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

Mike - It's going good! Main reason I got PS3 is that it's region free. Another thing is that xbox360 is dead in japan and as I liked Japanese games mostly in the past I am hoping that PS3 will start getting more japanese exclusives now that people are learning how to develop for it. MGS and Tekken will be big ones for me, RE5 will be on both, there is also the new Silent Hill, which I think is PS3 only.

toby - wearing MORE clothes in the sun is so HOOOOT!

10:02 AM

 
Blogger MissToby said...

maybe you already noticed it,almost every taiwanese do the same thing,haha

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home