An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

4.03.2008

逸彥 is a 宅男... (Ian is a nerd)


I just bought this Goku figure for 160NT which is less than $6 USD I think this must cost like $20 - 30 in the US. Well I know its nerdy, but I really like it! The photo doesn't do it justice really, its well made and well painted, looks really nice with the classic style and pose like the old comics.

I still didn't get my Super Smash Bros game from USA, I hope its not lost or stolen...

Tomorow is 'Tomb Sweeping Day' here in Taiwan. It's a national holiday so I don't need to work. I guess the idea is that to honor the ancestors you need to attend to their tomb and make sure its looking good and proper. In old times I think people did this more often but in these busy days maybe it's been a whole year, since the last tomb sweeping day, that someone visited, so it's a lot of work, basically a years worth of gardening, well thats what I heard at least.

So I wanted to go to a big party down in Kenting City, (the famous beach hang out of Taiwan,) but there is no convenient way for me to go since my friends don't have room for me. It's fine though, I think I can visit with my friend Pei Xin hopefully and have a nice day. My friend Albert who recently arrived from Virginia, here in Taichung also seems to be free on Saturday so maybe we can finally meet up in person.

I also am thinking maybe I can push myself to get a scooter this weekend. Grant let me drive his the other day, we went about 15 mins away, but seemed really long to me. It was really fun and I started to get the hang of it.

OK - Wish me luck! Haha!

5 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

I would try and make it down to Kenting...
Looks like you are picking up more and more Chinese! Good for you!

I am back in Japan...there are shops here packed with figures like the one you have written about.

2:45 AM

 
Blogger MissToby said...

so how do you go work??

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

I've been walking, my work is only like 15 mins away.

8:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, you get cheap figures and club sega. Stupid America...

On the bright side, I can play smash bros. whenever I want! (I don't, Hunt and I are too busy hating)

10:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the story goes, back in the (very) old days, people used to perform tomb sweeping duties and ancestor worshiping ceremonies with much more frequency.

They would stage these huge hub-de-do's and everyone would burn forests of incense, have all-night bands play, make all kinds of ruckus, and spend entirely too much money to keep the dead happy in the afterlife.

Times were tough and everyone was trying to keep up with each others' lavish ceremonies. The emperor at the time finally said, "ENOUGH!" followed by, "this shit is whack."

He decreed that tomb sweeping festivities would only be performed once a year on a designated day, so as to prevent the scads of annoyances brought on by frequent appeasements.

Hence today we have Tomb Sweeping Day, and people clean their family tombs on, or on the weekend(s) right before, the big day.

Or at least this is what I was told.

Sorry you don't have Smash Brothers.

Hope you feel better...

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home