An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

5.30.2008

Snails, Geckos, Roaches, and Dogs - OH MY!

My house has been invaded! Well It's not so surprising, but I have had a few critters in my house. I had 2 BIG roaches so far. Taiwan has big Madagascar looking bastards! Well I guess they are not really that big but not small either - and they can fly I've heard as well. I sprayed them with some cleaner and then threw a paper towel on top and smashed them, then tossed 'em inthe trash. My co-worker said to be careful because they usually put out their eggs before they die.

I also saw a very cute gecko kind of critter hanging out on my wall, most likely eating the other random bugs in my house. I live on the first floor and there is a big gap under my door so I figure it's easy for them to get in.

Yesterday it was raining hard and I had a snail in my house. Later I went outside and found there were a few out there on the street, one was smashed.

I am not sure If I've ever seen a real snail before actually. Well I saw some water dwelling creek snails - but these are like the land snails I saw in cartoons. Cool! I picked them up and posed them on this leaf for the photo above, looks natural eh? One fell down and then he put out some liquid and green stuff, maybe some bug poison for birds? I don't know!


There are also many stray dogs outside, I saw a very cute one today and took this photo, he wanted to dig through my trash but I wouldn't let him. He looked like a Doberman mutt and had a cute floppy ear. Later he came back with the other dog you see in the background.

Anyway you can see a lot of different wildlife here in Taiwan, and I heard, if you go to the mountains and are lucky you may even see some monkeys!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

Great snail pic-
Man, very interesting - all the stuff you described seeing doesn't start coming around until the mid of July in Kyushu Japan. Goes to show just how tropical Taiwan really is - probably something folks who have never been there would completely overlook.

1:58 AM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

Nathan-

Yeah, I started seeing the Geckos and roaches about 1 month ago maybe. It hasn't been cold in Taichung for a long time it seems.

4:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home