An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

2.12.2008

Teacher Jen

Today I did a few things. In the morning I walked to Carrefour and bought some important things like laundry detergent, toothpaste, and a proper Mini-SD Adapter. Now I can take photos as well as video, although the quality on the photos is not that great, and there is no flash, so the light needs to be decent.

The overpass on the way to work.

Anyway, I took a few photos on the way to my class today. Also, before class I went and got some beef noodles from one of the small local shops. I have not been eating enough recently because it's too annoying to find things I can eat sometimes. Oh well, I am getting better at it.

The Confucius Temple can be seen from the street the school is on.

So yeah, today I went to observe another teacher, Teacher Jen. She had a little bit more of a laid-back style than craig, she used some more games, and had some interesting classroom control tips. One was to use chance whenever there was some arbitrary decision to be made, that way, you, as the teacher, are not directly blamed by the students for picking who will do what. With some of the more rowdy classes she suggested using a points system and some arranged commands that the kids would respond to.

Wells English School.

I think her students were learning well, and seemed really interested to learn the new vocabulary.
I was able to learn alot from watching both Craig and Jen, I think I can put together a good lesson plan tomorow.

Some interesting looking buildings on the way home.

I will go to school about 2 hours early to get started. I think in the future maybe one hour will be enough. I also considered using my laptop to type up my plan because I think I can organise things better on the PC than on paper. Once I have it all planned I can jot the outline on a piece of paper.

My new watch.

Hmmm- after watching Jen I went down to the nightmarket. It was crowded with young folks as usual. I bought a semi-cheap watch from a vendor there. Its a big fat digital watch, super easy to read in a millisecond, just what I want for class. Also I think it looks pretty cool, kinda overly big.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

Great pics.
I think 2 hours is more than plenty of prep time. (However as you said, later on drop it down to an hour - which actually might even be more than enough)
As for the pics, man, Taiwan a country with some of the most beautiful hiking, shorelines, foothills, mountains, etc...I wish the infrastructure of the cities offered a bit more beauty.
But who am I to complain.

7:16 PM

 
Blogger Mary said...

Keeping in mind that I do preschool but I have their names on index cards and when I do a game I shuffle the cards and then have them face down so I can't see which one I'm choosing. That way it is luck of the draw! And the kids learn that evenutally they will have their turn because their name IS in the pile.
Mary

10:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home