An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

10.13.2006

Am I American?

Well yes, I am. I am an American. My family has lived in and around Maryland since it was English colonies, or something like that. So yes I am pretty thoroughly American in that respect. At the same time however I feel that I don't really line up with your 'average' American at all. I don't really get into a lot of sports, I don't like to debate about whether or not Bush is an idiot. I don't go to the bars or clubs to 'party' every weekend. I don't waste money on fancy things to show off to others... These are things that usually annoy me and they are also things that are sort of stereotypically American. Oh and being morbidly obese and totally ignorant...

Well the Taiwanese have some more stereotypes for us as well. A lot of them think we are all totally loose and sex crazy with 20 different strains of STDs. This isn't the case. Most people I know are not promiscuous, and a lot of the more religious types are totally against sex in general it seems. But like I said I don't really hang out with your average American, so maybe my view is off as well.

I think a lot of Taiwanese think that foreigners who come to Taiwan are looking for easy money and easy women, a generally easy lifestyle. This seems to be partially true, there are plenty of people who do that, but also plenty who take pride in the country and do their best to put forth the best effort and help the community. For me I am looking for a 'happy' lifestyle. I just don't feel that I fit in, in America. Its true that I like to take the easy way out sometimes but I think that going off on your own to the other side of the world, and another culture can only be considered SO easy. I mean I guess if you do a shitty job at work, and generally put the least effort possible into everything then that's gonna be more easy. Plenty of others are learning Chinese, learning to teach, trying to help their neighbors and fellow ex-pats. That's one thing that makes me think moving to Taiwan will be a nice transition, the people I've met online who are in Taiwan seem so friendly and helpful, I hope I still have that view once I get there.

Well hopefully I didn't ramble on too badly. I guess my point is that I am proud to be an American, but not because of our current cultural situation, I find it boring and cold. Life in Taiwan might be a little crazy but at least its exciting and warm, and I don't just mean the temperature.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome!:]

5:28 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Not fitting in the America is the American way ;)

7:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a lot of Taiwanese think that foreigners who come to Taiwan are looking for easy money and easy women, a generally easy lifestyle

well,that because the most of American here are like this.
They seemed not to respect our culture.
they defined it is "strange,odds".
Is it fair?When I feel American way is different from us.I just think it is just cultural difference.I wont think American are odds or something.But why they do so?
They came here and rant about Taiwnese women and culture.
we live with our parents,give them some money ...etc.They think its incredible and odds.
I just ask them dont feel surprised like being hitted by thunder if they dont know the culture and Confucian culture.

3:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home