An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

10.12.2006

Dating and Relationships

Well as I said before, I just got out of a relationship, 2 years living together. So now I am trying to adjust to being single. Its funny Jess and I are good friends and I don't exactly miss her but I do miss having a girlfriend to be comfortable with. I guess I just got used to it at this point. I've basically had a girlfriend since I was 15 with about 4 months being single total.

I am exited by the prospects of meeting girls in Taiwan. I also met a really nice Chinese girl online, if she is able to get over to Taiwan for a trip I am curious if that could turn into something. It's probably best I don't put too much thought into that part - just wanna see how it pans out.

I've never really been attracted to American girls. They usually enjoy doing things I hate as hobbies, and when i talk to them, we don't have much to say since we basically have the same life experiences. In highschool I dated a Sri Lankan girl, I learned a lot of things about her culture and buddhism, it was really interesting. After that I couldn't imagine going out with any more American girls.

I have been reading posts on Forumosa abotu relationships, I guess they are complicated all the world round. One complaint I heard a few times is that Taiwanese girls are 'immature' or too 'cutesy.' All the TW girls I met so far seem more grown up than me, and the cutesy thing is sorta fun. I guess thats just my taste - but I am sure there are tons of super serious work driven girls in Taiwan as well.

Well it will be fun living in Taiwan, even just for the fact that I will finally be the exotic one!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is immature?When they judge us in their way or standard .Is it mature?
When they earn money and rant about us .Is it mature?
When they think our culture is very strange .Is it mature?
They complain we always dont say what we think or want.But when we ask them "do you like Taiwan?or do you like the food?"
They apparently dont like.But still say "Oh...I like it.It is VERY good.
Can I say they are fake?

4:03 PM

 
Anonymous tw girl said...

are you mature or immature ? XD

5:59 AM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

Haha, I wrote this in 2006, it is now 2009.

I have found that I was right. Many Taiwanese girls are very serious and work hard, they know what they want and don't want to play games. There are also others who don't have any plan in their life, maybe they are younger, and they temperamental. Basically what I mean is there is not a big difference between Taiwanese and American girls when it comes to their attitude.

Culture makes some differences, but mostly its the same.

@ling:
Yes, some foreigners are very immature too. They often make comments and judgments that are not fair or live by their culture when they are in Taiwan.

@tw girl:
I hope I am more mature every year. I am someone who thinks about what is fair and what is the right way to do things, so I try my best.

8:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home