An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

10.08.2006

The Motivation

I said I would explain what attracts me to Taiwan, so here we go.

I am the type of person who likes to spend a lot of time indoors. I do enjoy things like hiking, sports, and other outdoor activites, but I just never find myself going out and initiating them on my own. So most of the time I will be inside playing with the computer, watching TV or movies, or playing videohgames. Yes I know it sounds boring, but relaxing at home makes me feel contented, most of the time.

This brings me to the point. When I do want to go out in the US, I really can't find anything I'd like to do. I wish i could just walk outside and mingle with people, the only place to do that here seems to be the mall. However the mall can be a very cold and impersonal place, its not likely you're going to make friends there. In the US most stores close at 9 and the 24-hour stores have really bad service after hours, don't make me tell you my Kinkos story. In the US I find that most of the people I meet either have so little in common with me that I can't stand them, or they are so similar to me that I get bored.

Now in Taiwan a lot of these issues I have seem to be totally opposite, some because I am a foreigner, others because of Taiwan's set-up. If I get bored inside I can actually walk outside and DO something. I can walk down to the corner store and get some food and its likely someone might talk to me. Theres a lot more to look at in Taiwan in general, it may be jumbled up and sorta dirty, but I just love the sights and sounds and smells. I'm sure some of it will wear off, but still. Stores are often open at night, and whole 'night markets' open in the evening. You just walk around checking things out and haggling for random items, most of which are allready well priced. Going out to shop or hang out in Taiwan is just a much warmer experience, the sort of thing I would be willing to drag myself away from the computer for. You can shop daily, get rid of trash daily, and just keep things to a short term basis. In the US you have to drive like 15 mins to the store, stockpile a bunch of food that ends up going bad, and then hoarding your trash all week for the garbage truck!

Also, don't forget the food. I'm sure I could devote a whole blog to food, I'm sure some people have. Its really tasty, generally healthy, and a lot cheaper than a crappy Big Mac.


Jess' friends and I at a 'hot pot' restraunt in Ping Dong.


These are just a few of the things that make me feel like Taiwan will be a much more comfortable place for me to live. The next topic I'll need to address is the career path of an ex-pat in Taiwan, it can take many forms but I'll go into that next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

First!

Yes, yes... Taiwan is a place where there's always something to do, and you'll probably always find yourself doing something. Be sure to start studying Chinese right when you get here, or better yet, before you leave.

8:53 PM

 
Blogger Ian A. said...

Yeah, I allready started learning a few basic things. I think I have the idea of their sentence structure down, I just need a lot more vocabulary.

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taiwan may be not the best but it is really friendly to live .Language is not always the problem for commniucating.
Anyway,Welcome to Taiwan.

8:37 PM

 
Blogger Phil said...

I wanna like you, I like your writing and you seem like a smart guy, but the whole two middle fingers thing just makes you look like another douche bag american, sorry, that's the truth.

6:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home