An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

3.01.2008

Stereotypes again?

Nathan Miller, at bicycle-sidewalk, was asking me how things are going in Taiwan. I said it was fine but that some of the stereotypes were annoying me, he said;

"Well, living the expat' life can be very liberating. You are not surrounded by Americans, thus there is no need to live by the social norms, and you are not Taiwanese, as much as you try to follow the rules/social norms you will most likely always get a get out of jail free card because you are not Taiwanese, and not expected to play the part.
One thing, you are living in a place where you have no memories of the your past... which can be tough or again liberating...
it is all what you make it.
Don't sweat stereos - they only play loud music...never bite...."

Well I have to agree, in reality stereotypes are just something to move past, don't let them get in your way. Another thing I need to stop worrying about is other people's opinions on minor things. Like I am a little embarrassed to eat at McDonald's, I don't want others to think that's all I eat, but I guess it's pretty silly. I still like to eat a big-mac every once in a while.

Tonight I will do another stereotypical thing, going to the dance club! I had fun last time because I was with a group, but this time, just me and my friend Viki from Taipei. She is friends with the DJ, Gareth, from Swank DJ; http://www.swank-dj.com/events.htm. Looks like it's going to be pretty cool, I hope I can get some photos or something. I asked some other people if they wanna come, like Phoebe, not sure if they are available. Well it should be fun either way, at the least I can enjoy watching the pro-dancer girls, haha! Wish me luck!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclesidewalk said...

Thanks for the link and the shout out !

7:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home