An American makes plans to move to Taiwan.

12.08.2007

Foreigners in Asia.

I was talking with a white guy from Canada on MSN today. He lives in a smaller city in Taiwan. He was telling me that many of the foreigners in Taiwan, and Asia in general are losers who basically couldn't cut it in their own country. They fled to Asia in hopes of making money and meeting girls, things they had failed at doing in their Country. He was telling me that the bigger cities were full of drugs and trashy people and they are polluted and expensive.

I guess a lot of that is true. Cities are known the world over for this, and me being a guy who doesn't go out to party and stuff, he was thinking I am an idiot to put myself in that situation. I mean I see his point, but I have always been good at staying out of trouble, even in some bad situations.

It does kind of piss me off though, to think the local Taiwanese will have these ideas about me. Like "Just another ugly foreigner, no skills in his own country, just wants to come take advantage of us, use us, date some silly girls who are blinded by the exotic thought of dating a foreigner." Well I guess every country has stereotypes. Many Americans look down on immigrants, thinking they are taking advantage of us and so forth.

I guess there is no point for me to worry about this though. I mean I already know I have a lot of marketable skills in graphic design and the IT field, and I don't consider myself ugly or desperate for women. I've never had a problem holding down a job or a girlfriend or anything like that. Just hope people will give me a chance.

I said it before, but my main goal is to just live in a culture that suits me, is comfortable, convenient, and friendly. I know every city has its bad points but I can't image that Taichung is going to be any worse than DC or Baltimore when it comes to the lowlifes, haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home